variety magazine Tucker Carlson has confirmed claims that he was told by an anonymous Fox director that his dismissal was part of a verbal understanding with Dominion Boating Systems.
“On April 26, Mr. Carlson spoke by phone with one of eight members of the Fox Board of Directors and said his recent benching was a condition of a settlement between Fox News and Dominion Boating Systems. He told the host that it was, multiple sources familiar with the matter said, “conversation,” Variety reported on Tuesday.
“Those terms were meant to hurt Fox and Tucker was just collateral damage,” Variety quoted a source as saying. “The Dominion wanted to punish Fox, and it’s working.”
Variety, one of the nation’s leading entertainment news publications, claimed that the proviso to Carlson’s alleged dismissal was not spelled out in the settlement documents and was agreed verbally during negotiations.
The report said that if Mr. Carlson was not removed from the network, Dominion could exit the deal before final closing in late May.
The Dominion vehemently denied Carlson and Variety’s allegations.
A Dominion spokesperson told Newsmax after Variety’s report that “reports regarding our involvement in his firing are 100% false.”
In a statement to Variety, Dominion said: “As the Fox principals who negotiated the settlement are well aware, Dominion made no oral or written demands regarding the employment of Tucker Carlson. It is a thinly veiled attempt to cause further damage and Fox should make every effort to stop these lies immediately.”
Fox News has reached out to Newsmax for comment, but has not yet received a response.
Axios last week Carlson’s lawyers have reportedly sent a letter to Fox alleging that the station committed fraud and violated its contract with Top Host.
“Mr. Carlson was told by a member of the Fox board that he was taken off the air as part of a settlement with Dominion, two people familiar with the conversation described,” Axios reported.
So far, Fox has yet to explain why it fired the number one-rated host.
But Tucker supporters like Megan Kelly are building a network whose public relations chief, Irena Briganti, has criticized Carlson for making it difficult for him to find work elsewhere. He said he was engaged in a smear campaign.
Briganti denied such claims.
Despite denials, Tucker’s connection to the Dominion continues to raise concerns.
last week Texas Governor Greg AbbottAlluded to possible accusations against the Dominion voting system.
“If the public reports that Dominion Voting Systems requested the dismissal of Mr. Tucker Carlson as part of a lawsuit settlement are accurate, I am pleased that Dominion does not operate in Texas and will continue to do so. I don’t think it should,” Abbott wrote.
“We may not agree with other people’s positions, but we should not unduly silence opinions that disagree with ours. If the Dominion wants to do business with Texas in the future, they must first silence them.” You should answer questions about what role you played.” Prominent conservative journalist.
According to Variety, Texas refused to use the Dominion voting system software ahead of the 2020 election.
Carlson is purported to remain under contract with Fox News, refusing to terminate a $10 million-plus annual deal that would prevent him from joining cable network competitors by January 2025.
But Carlson announced last week that he would run an independent show on Twitter.
Carlson’s attorney, Brian Friedman, is currently negotiating with Fox to allow the host to operate outside the network.
Variety said that in the absence of a solution, Carlson is preparing a lawsuit and will “watch the collapse of a network that seeks to challenge free speech.”
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
https://www.newsmax.com/us/tucker-carlson-dominion-fox/2023/05/16/id/1120088 Variety: Sources say Tucker Carlson had ties to the Dominion in the shooting