If Mark Twain were a programmer and lived in our days, then for sure, having heard the apocalyptic forecasts of some futurists about the imminent death of C#, he would have said: “The rumors about the close passing of C# are greatly exaggerated.”
In fact, C# has been consistently in the top ten most popular programming languages for several years in a row – it employs 29.81% of programmers worldwide. In addition, the demand for C# Developers’ service continues to grow steadily, and their average salary is $100,000 a year.
What is the secret of the unfading popularity of C#? What allows this language to hold leadership positions for so long?
C# – components of success
If you want to learn more about the origins and development of C#, it’s easy to find relevant primary sources. Moreover, the community of C# developers are extensive, and the documentation for this language is very detailed and well-structured. By the way, these factors are also a powerful argument in favor of the popularity of C#.
We will list the most obvious advantages of this programming language, which provides making 5-Star apps in any environment and for any platform.
- C# is very logical and relatively easy to learn. Even 12-year-olds can understand its basics, start learning and say their first “Hello, World” in this language in no time.
- C# has a relatively low barrier to entry. This means that you do not need to thoroughly study all the intricacies to start working with it. As you master this language, more and more opportunities will open for you, and you will be able to move from simple to complex, increasing your professional level.
- The C# architecture has many built-in tools that automate complex tasks, such as clearing unused memory. This means that you can work with C# and get the results you want by simply relying on the automated help of these tools without having to understand how they work. Just like you don’t have to comprehend the nature of electricity when you turn on your computer.
- Given that C#, unlike the exotic Ruby on Rails or Rust, which are ubiquitous, and you can easily find experienced programmers who code in this language, the cost of web development is quite acceptable. Taking into consideration that C# is multi-platform, you can get a 5-Star app for any use and environment for a reasonable price. This makes using C# economically feasible since the balance of price and quality is almost perfect here.
- Since, as already mentioned several times above, C# is a universal software solution, today it is impossible to find an area where applications written in this language would not work.
- streaming services;
- desktop applications;
- mobile applications;
- Internet banking;
- cloud technologies;
- Internet of Things;
- web services and web applications
And much more.
- According to the breadth of application, the list of the largest transcontinental companies using C#-based solutions are just as long.
What’s in store for C# in 2022?
The number of programmers using C# is growing exponentially. In the second half of 2020 alone, this global community has grown by half a million people.
Today, C# ranks fifth in the popularity list among developers worldwide.
According to Google’s ranking, C# is the fourth programming language searching for technical documentation and manuals.
Even though today there are already more than six and a half million C# developers working globally, the need for them is not decreasing. Each fifth HR manager in software development, testing, and maintenance companies is looking for specialists working with this language.
In light of the above facts, it is safe to say that C# will hold positions in the list of the most popular software solutions over the next few years.
Of course, like any other language or framework, C# is not without flaws. You can often hear complaints about its slow response compared to competing development environments, over-reliance on the built-in garbage collector, and so on. However, all this does not prevent the demand for C# software among the leading players in the global computer market.
And this fact is the most convincing argument in favor of the viability of C#.
Is it worth it to start learning C# today, given the prospects of this language?
Of course, everyone who plans their future, choosing this or that profession, has their own point of view on their place among colleagues. In the case of C#, you can decide. Perhaps you decide to join the enormous community of C# developers. It’s easy to find a job and further improve your skills, gradually moving forward in this environment. Or maybe you immediately want to master a little spread, but therefore highly paid language at the start, and become one of the chosen ones. The choice is strictly individual.
However, summing up, let’s draw your attention to another important fact: a confident knowledge of C# can be the beginning of your successful career, allowing you to master other similar solutions in the future.
This approach will definitely make you a real universal soldier. As the saying goes, a good start is half done.