President Biden on Friday awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal to law enforcement, state and local officials who defended the U.S. Capitol and upheld the integrity of the 2020 election. This is the first time Biden has been awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal..
At a White House ceremony on Friday, President Biden presented the award to 12 people, including former Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers, Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn, and a former Metropolitan Police Department officer.and Capitol Police Officers Former Capitol Police Officer Awarded posthumously.
Biden commemorated two years after a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol and law enforcement defended the Capitol to ensure the safety of lawmakers, their staff and the vice president. made a statement.
Here are the people Biden honored on Friday:
- Jocelyn Benson The former secretary of state of Michigan faced armed protesters outside his home under pressure from those seeking to overturn the 2020 election results.
- the former Arizona House Speaker who resisted pressure from those hoping to overturn the election.
- Harry Dunn, a Capitol police officer who faced harassment from the mob. He has served in the military for about 15 years.
- caroline edwardsa law enforcement officer who suffered a brain injury as a result of mob actions on January 6, 2021.
- A now retired Metropolitan Police Department officer who was injured in the attack.
- Ruby FreemanWorking as an election official in Fulton County, Georgia, she faced threats for doing her job.
- Akirino Gonell A Capitol Police Sergeant injured while defending the Capitol on January 6, 2021.
- Capitol police officers who diverted the mob from the Senate floor so that lawmakers could evacuate.
- Daniel Hodges A police officer injured during the attack. January 6, 2021 was his first time at the Capitol.
- Shay Moss Election officials in Fulton County, Georgia, during the 2020 election. Ruby Freeman is her mother.
- Al Schmidt Former federal employee who served as mayor on the Philadelphia County Election Commission. During the 2020 election, he continued to collect votes in the face of pressure and efforts to overturn the election.
- Brian Schicknick A Capitol police officer who guarded the Capitol. he died the next day.
- Howard C. LiebengoodUS Capitol Police (posthumous)
- Jeffrey L. SmithDC Metropolitan Police Department (posthumous)
— Nikole Killion contributed to this report
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/joe-biden-presidential-citizens-medal-january-6-capitol-attack-watch-live-stream-today-2023-01-06/ Biden to award Presidential Citizens Medal two years after Jan. 6 Capitol attack