We are continuously finding new ways to exploit the technology available to us. And one of these means lies in exploring the metaverse. Have you heard of it? What opportunities does it present for its audience? Well, let’s start by describing it. Best put, the metaverse is a concept that encompasses various virtual spaces – it’s what the internet will be in the future. When it comes to be, we will be able to do virtually anything online – dating, gaming, working, meeting, making friends, etc. It will connect multiple platforms via one browser, enabling users to access a hoard of websites. When the idea was first coined, it was fiction – have you read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson? But now, it’s becoming more of a reality as it dawns on more people that this could be our future.
We have mentioned the future. Does that mean that the metaverse does not exist? Yes and no. In totality, the metaverse is not yet complete – it’s still in the making. But some of its elements are becoming increasingly apparent on some platforms. For example, video games showcase many of these elements. You see, casinos are always looking for ways to get closer to their audiences. And if you check this website, you will see that they are going all-in for the haul. So, it’s not surprising that they have embraced what the metaverse has to offer. How? – through the creation of in-game events and the provision of virtual economies. For example, some people now play online casino games using crypto. They never have to reveal who they are and where they are from to get in on the action. That’s just one way the metaverse has aided online gaming!
So, you can see how the metaverse has already changed gaming even when it’s not at its optimal level. Here’s another example – some platforms use a play-to-earn strategy where people can eke a living from playing their favorite games. People no longer need to work in offices and toil the 9 to 5 route if they can master gameplay. All they need is to log on and escape into this virtual world in which they can earn money.
The Future of Online Gaming
In the metaverse, augmented reality will rule. That means that players will get to control an avatar. This character can pretty much do anything online. They can game, work, interact with other people, and even bank crypto! It’s much like Second Life – you get to be part of a whole new universe by directing an avatar.
So, how will it change gaming?
- Real-Time Interaction: Online gaming can sometimes be lonely. While live chat options do exist, they do not live up to the feel of an actual casino. As a result, some people don’t feel the convenience of gaming from their homes. But with the metaverse, they can grab a drink in the real world and the virtual world with other players. A casino can replicate its actual traditional setup in the online world, enabling you to communicate directly with other players. And play while you are at it!
- Better Table Games: Have you ever wondered what your opponent is up to when playing poker? Online gaming took away the poker face aspect. But with avatars taking over, you will have the chance to zero in on the other player. What chips do they have? What are their expressions? Then you can enjoy a good game where you have an inkling of the other players’ advantages.
- Live Betting: Are you tired of watching opportunities pass by as you sit at home? With the metaverse, you will have the chance to bet in real-time. Sure, most sites offer this feature. But in augmented reality, it will even be more effective. So, you will have the chance to better your wager as the play continues.
- NFT Purchases: In the last few years, crypto was the in-thing. Everyone was talking about how early crypto investors had made a killing. And more options kept creeping up. Then that seemed to change. While crypto is still a good deal, NFTs (non-fungible tokens) are now on the lead. So, if you’ve been looking for a chance to purchase some goods that can make you cash, this would be it.
- Real-Time Event Attendance: Have you ever wanted to attend a big game but could not because of one reason or another? VR headsets will plunge you right into the action. You can sit and watch the whole event without ever leaving your home.
The metaverse will make gaming more accessible by enabling anyone with a VR headset and internet to connect. It’s much like what online gambling did to traditional casinos. The only difference is that this augmented reality will combine the best of both worlds – the online convenience coupled with the social aspects of the traditional setups. It’s a win-win for players who now get to control their experiences.
How soon can you expect to start playing in a virtual world? So far, VR headsets have become quite the popular gaming option. You just pop them in and disappear into a virtual world. So, that part is complete. All that remains is the creation of the metaverse to enable players to connect to multiple platforms through a single browser. Facebook, Google, and other tech giants are hard at work to bring it to fruition. So, that part could be complete in the next decade or so – fingers crossed that it can be sooner.
The links between the virtual, physical, and financial worlds will only grow stronger as technology develops. And with faster internet and more mobile access, the online gaming world is set to benefit greatly from this growth. Besides, with crypto getting stronger, players will finally have the chance to ditch fiat currencies and wager using online wallets. These are but a glimpse of what is to come when the metaverse takes over the gaming scene.