Medical negligence is a specialized type of personal injury case that needs to be taken seriously. With more patients getting injured due to a healthcare provider’s negligence, the claims process requires as much quick resolution as possible. This ensures that the injured victims receive compensation as indemnity for all the losses sustained due to what happened.
However, dealing with a medical negligence claim can take some time, depending on the circumstances. With many things on the line, including the victim’s life and the at-fault party’s medical reputation, the claim should be handled appropriately, which, in turn, makes it a time-consuming process.
Fortunately, some ways can help speed up a medical malpractice claim. These can include:
- Seek Immediate Medical Evaluation
Like other personal injury cases, you need to prove that an injury was suffered due to a medical practitioner’s negligence. This is one reason why you need to get yourself medically assessed as soon as possible. Without a medical evaluation, you might have a challenging time demonstrating the connection between your injury and your doctor’s negligent acts.
Moreover, waiting for a very long time before you seek prompt medical assessment can be detrimental to your claim. Your failure to file a medical negligence claim can make the court suspicious about your motive. It can certainly look bad for you as the individual suing the at-fault party. Hence, make sure to schedule an appointment with another medical professional when you suffer an injury.
- Work With An Experienced Attorney
Handling a claim can be complicated and confusing. Unless you’re a legal expert specializing in medical negligence cases, you probably need to work with an experienced attorney like Gregory Feste and other legal professionals to speed up the claims process. Having an attorney at your side can help you in various ways. These can include:
- Getting familiar with the ins and outs of personal injury law.
- Making sure that all processes are followed to streamline the process.
- Preparing the necessary paperwork to ensure the proper documentation is submitted at the right time.
- Knowing the possible reasons for the delay and correcting the problem as fast as possible.
When you hire an attorney to handle your medical negligence claim, you’ll have better chances of obtaining a more favorable outcome. Since they have your best interest at heart, they’ll do their best to ensure your claim is settled in the fastest time possible. In doing so, you can get compensated for all the damages or losses you sustained as a result.
- Collect Evidence
Another way to resolve a medical negligence claim is through evidencecollection. When you have the right pieces of evidence in your hands, you can prove the healthcare professional’s negligence, making it much easier and faster to settle the case. Generally, evidence such as medical records, witness testimonies, expert testimonies, and other relevant documents can help you demonstrate the following elements of negligence:
- Doctor-Patient Relationship: You need to show that the doctor-patient relationship existed. For example, if the doctor has evaluated, diagnosed, and treated you, such a relationship is present, and the doctor must provide you with reasonable care.
- Breach Of Duty: You should prove that the doctor violated their duty of care by committing negligent medical mistakes, such as misdiagnosis, medication errors, administration of improper treatment, and other similar situations.
- Injury: You should be able to illustrate by clear and convincing evidence that your doctor’s negligent acts directly resulted in injury.
- Damages: To increase your odds of resolving your medical negligence claim, it’s essential to show that your injury caused certain economic and non-economic losses. These can include medical bills, lost wages and earning capacity, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
- Opt For A Settlement Through The Insurance Company
If you have no intention of bringing your negligence claim to court, it’s best to have it settled at the insurance level. Unlike navigating some court processes, you can have a higher chance of resolving your claim quickly when dealing with the insurance company.
Although they usually prioritize their interests than yours, they’re still willing to resolve the claims as fast as possible to avoid further hassle. But, in such a case, you might need to seek legal help to ensure the negotiation will be more favorable. When you have a lawyer to negotiate on your behalf, you’ll more likely get a fair settlement offer quickly.
By working with the insurance company, you can speed up the claims process and avoid turning your case into a bigger one which is more costly and time-consuming.
Filing a medical negligence claim is never easy. There are many things to consider, including the amount of time you’ll have to wait before it’s resolved. However, by keeping the information mentioned above, you’ll know exactly how to speed up your claim. When this happens, you can receive the compensation you need to get your normal life back as soon as possible.