Gum Disease Treatment Methods
There are a lot of diverse techniques for curing gum diseases. The choice of the gum treatment depends on the specificity of each individual case.
It is customary to divide treating techniques into two categories:
Non-Surgical Methods of Treating
If a gum issue does not require surgical intervention, there are the following non-surgical procedures:
- Professional cleaning. This method is not actually a treatment of active disease, it is a preventive measure, that is prescribed to stop the development of some problems. For prophylaxis, it is necessary to do standard cleaning two times a year.
- Planning of root. This is a process, that is just like dental cleaning, but it is deep enough to scrap away the tartar or plaque from the gum line. In addition, the method provides smooth rough specks, which removes bacteria.
Surgical Methods of Treating
When there is a necessity to use the assistance of a surgeon, gum problems can be treated by such types of treatment as:
- Pocket reduction. The technique is implemented to get rid of the tartar. A doctor lifts your gum and shrinks the area, which could appear between the tooth and gum. This allows to assure conditions when any infection spread is almost impossible.
- Bone transplantation. If there is already serious bone damage, there is a necessity to use this technique. A specialist uses details of patients’ bones, special synthetic material, and donated fragments.
- Soft tissue transplantation. It is very often when the transplanted tissue is cut right from your own mouth roof. It is attached to the injured gum area and is stitched right in the point of addition. The option is useful for strengthening thin tissues and filling free spaces where gums were injured. Directed tissue regeneration. In case a bone that should support your teeth cannot function anymore because of the damage, specialists recommend this method. The regeneration is prescribed to ensure resistance to the external influence of the tissue. The gum line should not grow into the area where the bone is supposed to be, so, dentists insert a mesh-like material in a space between tissue and bone.
- Bone surgery. This treating way is implemented for the craters (not deep ones) in the tooth bone smooth. This is provided to assure more difficulties for bacteria to spread. The curing method implies the reforming of the bone, which could affect the tooth.
The technique of gum problem solving is defined by your doctor after conducting and studying the relevant tests and examinations.