March 7, 2022
(Reuters) – Former US Open champion Dominic Thiem on Monday delayed his return to action due to a wrist injury, saying he was retiring from the ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami to focus on the clay court season. .
Thiem, who has an excellent clay court record, has not played since suffering an injury at the 2021 Mallorca Open and the 28-year-old, who fell to 50th in the world rankings, has been unable to defend his US Open crown. last year. .
The Austrian withdrew from tournaments in Argentina, Brazil and Chile this year, but said he hoped to return to Indian Wells, generally considered the most prestigious tournament outside of the four Grand Slam events and where Thiem won the title in 2019.
“I’ve had some really good weeks of training. My pulse is perfectly fine, my hand is getting better, but I still decided to get out of Indian Wells and Miami and start on the dirt track,” Thiem said in a video posted on Instagram.
“It’s still the surface where I feel most comfortable, so I think it’s the perfect time to start there.”
The clay season begins in April.
(Report by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bangalore; edited by John Stonestreet)
Tennis-Thiem leaves Indian Wells, Miami to focus on the return of clay
Source link Tennis-Thiem leaves Indian Wells, Miami to focus on the return of clay