Texas-A large area of Texas is plunging into a cold wave that hasn’t been seen for decades.
Numerous blackouts have already been reported in some parts of Texas and will only get worse this weekend and early next week.
It increases the likelihood that people trying to warm their home will succumb to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning occur frequently in the fall and winter, when people are more likely to use gas furnaces and heaters. According to one study, about 480 people die each year from non-fire-related carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States. An additional 15,200 people are being treated in the hospital.
“This study further shows that carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable,” said Allison Stock, a toxicologist and one of the authors of the report. “One of the main ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to maintain gas-burning appliances every year. Battery-powered carbon monoxide in households to warn residents of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. It is advisable to install a carbon detector, but carbon monoxide detectors are not the primary way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. “
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is generated when fossil fuels are burned. It can cause sudden illness and death. So how do you prevent it in your home? The CDC provides the following tips:
- Do Heating systems, water heaters, and other gas, oil, or coal combustion appliances are serviced annually by qualified technicians.
- Do Install a battery-powered or battery-powered backup CO detector in your home. Check or replace the batteries when changing the clock time in spring and autumn. As soon as you hear the detector, leave home and call 911.
- Do Seek medical attention immediately if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and feel dizzy, lightheaded, or nausea.
- please do not Use a generator, charcoal grill, camping stove, or other gasoline or charcoal burner in your home, basement, garage, or near windows.
- please do not You can drive your car or truck in the garage attached to your house, even with the door open.
- please do not Burn something in an unventilated stove or fireplace.
- please do not Warm the house in a gas oven.
- please do not Use a generator, pressure washer, or a petrol engine within 20 feet of windows, doors, and vents.Please use an extension cord 20 feet or more in length To keep the generator at a safe distance.
Take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
Source link Take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning