Spence defeats Garcia and retains title in first fight since Ferrari’s crash in Dallas – NBC5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Errol Spence Jr. skipped tune-ups in his first fight since the car accident that almost upset his promising career.

Texas did not require a warm-up act.

Spence unanimously decided on Danny García on Saturday night, defending the WBC and IBF welterweight championships and controlling the pace from almost the beginning with another defense on the home ground.

At the Dallas Cowboys home, two judges scored 116-112 in Spence and the other scored 117-111. Spence’s third defense in his hometown took place 14 months after he was spared a high-speed crash near downtown Dallas.

“I felt good at every training camp,” Spence said. “I told people I didn’t want a tune-up fight. I proved to everyone that I was the best 147 pound fighter in the world.”
Spence turned Ferrari over and was kicked out in a fast crash, but was charged with drunk driving in October 2019, about a month after winning a thrilling split decision against Shawn Porter in Los Angeles with the addition of a WBC belt. His INF strap escaped without serious injury.

Spence (27-0, 21 knockouts) defeated Garcia (36-3, 21 knockouts) three times in a row. Garcia’s three defeats occurred in his last six battles. The Philadelphia fighter was the first title match in two years.

“He was a better man tonight,” Garcia said. “I can’t make excuses. I had a hard and tough fight. He had a good jab and that was the key to the fight. He was a little busier than I was.”

A crowd of 16,102 people was considered a pandemic sold out. Occupying about 20% of the 80,000 seating capacity of AT & T Stadium, fans spread across all four decks, spaced between hundreds of chairs at the ring level.

Garcia tried to soar late and landed near the end of the 11th round, Spence rang the bell and looked for a corner when Garcia was closer.

Garcia’s right eye and nose were swollen, and after the latter made a small cut in the early round, he tried to maintain momentum in the final round, but Spence said that both fighters had the last big punch before the last bell. I tried to land, so I settled down.

Both landed some punches in the middle of the eighth round with the most intense stretches to that point. Spence secured Garcia to the rope with a series of blows before Garcia escaped and settled before the end of the round.
Spence tried to attack in the middle round. Garcia ducked under some difficult punches and grabbed Spence’s head with a wild right hook as Texas leaned back to avoid the swing in the second half of the fifth round.

The first two rounds were mostly quiet until Garcia seemed to throw a left hook and land shortly after Bell finished the second. Garcia appeared to have slipped in the third early stage, and the referee showed that it was not a knockdown. Garcia did not appear to be injured, but from the third time onward she needed to be treated for a small cut on the bridge of her nose.

Sebastian Hundra dominated the late shift Habib Ahmed in the undercard WBA super welterweight title eliminator and won a technical knockout in the middle of the second round.

The 22-year-old Californian staggered Ahmed with his left hand in the first round, and Ahmed’s corner asked the referee to intervene when Ghana was beaten along the rope in the second round.

The 6’6 Fundora (16-0-1, 11 knockouts) used a 6-inch high advantage to control Ahmed (27-2-1) from the opening bell. Ahmed replaced Jorgekota, who tested positive for COVID 19 days before the fight.

Spence defeats Garcia and retains title in first fight since Ferrari’s crash in Dallas – NBC5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Source link Spence defeats Garcia and retains title in first fight since Ferrari’s crash in Dallas – NBC5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Back to top button