- In 2020, Pollstar estimates the economic impact of a coronavirus pandemic shutting down live music to be more than $ 30 billion.
- Crosby Hops has worked with more than 20 breweries across the United States to donate profits from hops used in rock-on lager to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund.
- Beer is still available at several breweries and Crosby hopes to participate in more efforts next year.
More than 20 breweries across the United States make special beers to benefit musicians and others in the music industry, many of whom have seen their livelihoods being disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. rice field.
Crosby Hops in Woodburn, Oregon donates profits from hops sold to make rock-on lager to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund, a charity founded in 1993 to help musicians in need. .. The breweries involved are also encouraged to donate to the COVID-19 fund Sweet Relief, created in March 2020, to support musicians and workers in the music industry.
Most breweries have produced a refreshing, refreshing lager with an alcohol content of about 5%, with a hoppy scent with a hint of bread, honey, melon or citrus. There was a basic recipe, but some brewers made the hops a bit heavier to enhance the characteristics of the piny.
After the onset of COVID, most live music events have been suspended for over a year, and many concerts and festivals continue to be canceled or scaled down. In 2020 alone, Pollstar estimates the economic impact of shutting down live music to be more than $ 30 billion.
Eric Steinberg, Executive Vice President of Development and Artist Relations at SweetRelief, said: “This has a long tail.”
► Strong beer:Samuel Adams releases illegal utopian beer in 15 states with 28% alcohol
► Pumpkin Spice Selzer, Cereal, TP:The taste of autumn is back with an even stranger product
Other versions, from Road Island (Hive Beer) to Alabama (Goat Island Craft Brew) to Utah (Level Crossing Brew), since the Silver City Brewery in Bremerton, Washington made its first batch of lock-on lager in July. Is brewed nationwide. And California (Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.).
“I like the idea of helping musicians and their crew at times when it’s very difficult to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Mark Medura, founder and CEO of Level Crossing. The South Salt Lake City brewery donates $ 1 per pint to the Salt Lake Music Academy, a local non-profit organization that provides instruction and musical instruments to children and adults.
Punk kick-off to charity beer
Crosby Hops CEO Blake Crosby collaborated after learning that Silver City Brewery had partnered with Bremerton, Washington-based punk band MxPx for a beer called Secret Weapon to commemorate the band’s 25th anniversary. I was interested in making beer.
Hop suppliers, who provide hops to thousands of breweries across the United States, wanted to collaborate on a project to support the live music community. “I’m in someone’s position on the road, all sudden income stops altogether, and what you do,” said Zack Schroarlac, marketing manager for Crosby Hop, who loves Break Crosby. I thought about it. It touched me. ” I also play music.
The band MxPx recommended Sweet Relief and noticed that Schroerlucke was talking to Steinberg. Schroerlucke thought the charity concept could be adopted in additional breweries. This is similar to the fact that at least 1,500 breweries, under the leadership of the Sierra Nevada Brewery, created the Resilience Bute County Proud IPA to benefit those affected by the campfire in late 2018.
MxPx drummer Yuri Ruley has joined the Silver City brewery and Crosby Hops team to produce beer using Crosby’s Chinook and Sterling hops. “Our goal was to make a light, crunchy, uplifting rock show beer,” said Silver City, who sold all the rock-on-craft lagers but offered recipes that other breweries could try. Said Daniel Franz, Marketing Manager.
“The idea was to make a craft lager that you could drink a few cups at a concert,” Schroerlucke said. However, the brewery was encouraged to fine-tune the recipe as needed and involve local musicians in the project. “I think it allowed people to be really excited about it,” he said.
Rock-on beer across the United States
Lock-ons are available in tap rooms and cans at some breweries (some made 12 ounce cans, others made 16 ounce cans). At Goat Island Brewing in Kalman, Alabama, two local bands (Round 2 and Avenue G) helped make the beer. This beer is now and next month available at on-site and local retail stores. Steve Hathaway (DJ Kudlz), a local disc jockey who created a streaming service for musicians during a pandemic, backed Virginia Beer in Williamsburg, Virginia with a rock-on lager released over the Labor Day weekend. ..
Austin (Texas) Beerworks has made some minor changes to the recipe with the help of guitarist Kyle Shutt of the hard rock band The Sword. Beer is currently available in that tap room.
Origin of sweet salvation
Sweet Relief was born from “Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams” released in 1993. This is an album of singer-songwriter songs played by musical friends such as Pearl Jam, Lucinda Williams and Lou Reed. After she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, they made an album to raise money to help pay for Victoria Williams’ medical bills. After that, she started a sweet relief fund for all musicians with revenue.
The Rock On lager project has raised $ 20,000 so far for Sweet Relief’s COVID fund. Beyond funding, Steinberg said the initiative was “a big driver of recognition.” “We are trying to pay for people in an emergency.”
Crosby hops and breweries want to serve beer every year. Pairing makes sense because most tap rooms play music and are blown up in the brewery when cleaning tanks and equipment. “I’ve never met anyone in the beer industry who said,’I don’t like live music,'” said Schroaracke.
The railroad crossing Franz is on board. “We want to further develop the success of next year’s rock-on initiative, especially as the concerts come back,” he said.
Lock-on participating brewery
- Austin Beerworks – Austin, Texas
- Mediated Brewing – West Lafayette, Indiana
- Camp Colvos Brewing – Vashon, WA
- Crucible Brewing Co. – Everett, WA
- Fifth Hammer Brewing Co. – Long Island, NY
- Fort George Brewery – Astoria, Oregon
- Virginia Beer Company – Williamsburg, Virginia
- First Magnitude Brewing Co. – Gainesville, Florida
- Goat Island Craft Brewing – Cullman, Alabama
- Goose Island Beer Company – Chicago, Illinois
- Great Notion Brewing – Portland, Oregon
- Hive Beer-Westerly, Rhode Island
- Initiative Brewing – Redmond, Oregon
- Kulshan Brewing Co. – Bellingham, WA
- Laguna Beach Brewing – Laguna Beach, CA
- Level Crossing Brewing-South Salt Lake City, Utah
- Mechanical Brewing Co. – Cherry Hill, NJ
- Navigation Brewing – Lowell, Massachusetts
- One Trick Pony Brewery – Lansing, Illinois
- Peoria Artisan Brewery – Peoria, Arizona
- Rainy Daze Brewing Co. – Poulsbo, WA
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. – Chico, CA
- Silver City Brewery – Bremerton, WA
- Ska Brewing – Durango, Colorado
- Starr Brothers Brewing Co. – Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Stormcloud Brewing Co. – Frankfort, Michigan
- Top Rung Brewing Co. – Lacey, WA
- Urban Family Brewing Company – Seattle, WA
- Old Coast Plus – St. Augustine, Florida
Follow Mike Snider on Twitter. @MikeSnider..
Rock On lager assists musicians after COVID shutdown
Source link Rock On lager assists musicians after COVID shutdown