Health

Parents complain of boy’s death due to brain-eating amoeba in Texas

Arlington, Texas (AP) —The parents of a 3-year-old boy who died after being infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba found in Splash Pad, Texas, sued the city that ran it for negligence. It was Monday.

Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell have filed a proceeding against the city of Arlington in the Tarrant County District Court in Fort Worth. Their son, Bakari Williams, died on September 11 after being hospitalized for primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The city announced his death last week after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found an amoeba in a water sample collected from a splash pad visited by Bakari. City officials also said the review found that there were gaps in the daily inspection program, which resulted in the city’s splash pads not meeting maintenance standards.

In the proceedings, city officials said, “The splash pad is unfairly dangerous because the water in the city’s splash pad could not be properly monitored and chlorinated.”

Immediately after his last visit to Splash Pad in Don Mizan Himmer Park, Mitchell said his son had a fever of over 102 degrees Celsius and was weakened and unable to eat or drink anything.

“With a little more chlorine, this kid would be here today,” said Stephen Stewart, one of the family’s lawyers.

A city spokeswoman declined to comment on Monday’s proceedings because city officials hadn’t seen it yet.

All four splash pads in the city were closed for the rest of the year.

According to the CDC, infection with Negrelia faureli is rare, with only 34 reported in the United States between 2010 and 2019. When water containing amoeba enters the body through the nose, it is usually transmitted when swimming or diving in lakes or rivers.

Parents complain of boy’s death due to brain-eating amoeba in Texas

Source link Parents complain of boy’s death due to brain-eating amoeba in Texas

Back to top button