Sports

Naomi Osaka withdraws from next month’s Indian Wells Tournament

Indian Wells, California. – Naomi Osaka withdrew from the BNP Paribas Open on Wednesday. This is the expected move after showing that he plans to take a longer break from tennis following the defeat at the US Open this month.

Withdrawal was announced by Official Twitter feed For a hard court tournament at Indian Wells scheduled for October 4-17, after being delayed twice during the coronavirus pandemic.

Osaka is a four-time Grand Slam champion, ranked first and is currently eighth.

She finally played at the US Open and lost to runner-up Leylah Fernandez in the third round on September 3.

After the defeat, Osaka said, “I honestly don’t know when to play the next tennis match.”

advertisement

Born in Japan and now based in the United States, 23-year-old Osaka took a break earlier this season. This is a mental health break that began when we withdrew from the French Open before the second round. She also returned to the Tokyo Olympics after sitting in Wimbledon and lit the cauldron at the opening ceremony.

“Recently, when I won, I felt relieved and not happy. After losing to Fernandez 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-4 at Flushing Meadows, Osaka said at a press conference. “I don’t think it’s normal.”

___

Other AP Tennis: https: //apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.



Naomi Osaka withdraws from next month’s Indian Wells Tournament

Source link Naomi Osaka withdraws from next month’s Indian Wells Tournament

Back to top button