Sports

MLB bans Trevor Bauer Dodgers for two full seasons under sexual assault policy | MLB

Major League Baseball has suspended Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer for two full seasons under its domestic violence and sexual assault policies.

Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred announced the sentencing on Friday after an extensive investigation by the MLB Department of Investigation, according to a news release.

The announcement comes four days after Bauer filed a lawsuit in federal court against a San Diego woman accusing her of sexual assault, a move less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the 31-year-old’s rights. -hand.

The woman, whom the pitcher met via social media, alleged that Bauer beat and sexually harassed her last year. He then sought – but was denied – a restraining order against him. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was not enough evidence to prove the woman’s allegations beyond a reasonable doubt.

“In the strongest terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policies,” Bauer said Friday in a statement. statement. “I appeal this action and hope to win. As we did throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the process.”

If the suspension is enforced, Bauer will lose about $60 million in salary.

The Dodgers also issued a statement on Friday, saying: “Today, we were notified that MLB has completed its investigation into the allegations that have been made against Trevor Bauer, and the Commissioner has issued his decision on discipline. The Dodgers organization takes all allegations of this kind very seriously and does not condone or condone any act of domestic violence or sexual assault.

“We have cooperated fully with the MLB investigation since it began, and we fully support the Domestic Violence, Sexual Abuse and MLB Child Abuse Policy, and the enforcement of the Policy by the Commissioner. We understand that Trevor reserves the right to appeal the decision of the Commissioner. Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.”

Bauer was placed on administrative leave on July 2 under the joint domestic violence and sexual assault policy of MLB and the players’ association. The leave has been repeatedly extended and currently ends on Friday.

Bauer continues to be paid $32m in wages while on leave.

After winning his first Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed a three-year $102 million contract to join his hometown Dodgers. He didn’t pitch after June 29 and finished with an 8-2 record and 2.59 ERA in 17 appearances. He was paid $28m in salary last year.

The pitcher has repeatedly said that all that happened between the two was consensual in the evenings they spent together in April and May at his home in Pasadena. He said the two had rough sex on his advice and followed the guidelines they agreed to in advance. Every meeting ends with them joking and he spends the night.

Last month, Bauer filed a libel suit against Athletic and a former reporter, accusing them of “inventing and spreading a false narrative” that he broke the woman’s skull.

“We are confident in our report and plan to defend against the claim,” Athletic spokeswoman Taylor Patterson said earlier in a statement.



MLB bans Trevor Bauer Dodgers for two full seasons under sexual assault policy | MLB

Source link MLB bans Trevor Bauer Dodgers for two full seasons under sexual assault policy | MLB

Back to top button