In 2015, FBI agents knew that Nassar was accused of insulting gymnasts. However, the agents did not act and released him, continuing to target young women and girls.
DETROIT – Dozens of other women who say they were sexually assaulted by Olympic gold medalists Simone Biles and Larry Nassar are demanding more than $ 1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop a sports doctor when the agency first received charges against him.
In 2015, there is no dispute that FBI agents knew that Nassar, who is currently in custody, was accused of attacking gymnasts, but they did not act and released him after continuing to target young women and girls for more than a year. He pleaded guilty in 2017 and has been in prison for decades.
“It’s time for the FBI to take responsibility,” said Maggie Nichols, a national gymnast in Oklahoma in 2017-19.
Under federal law, the government has six months to respond to allegations of wrongdoing filed Wednesday. Depending on the FBI’s response, litigation may continue.
According to California law firm Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, among the nearly 90 contenders are all Olympic gold medalists Biles, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney.
Samantha Roy, a former gymnast at the University of Michigan, said: “If the FBI had done its job, Nassar would have been stopped without a chance to rape hundreds of girls, including me.”
An email was sent to the FBI asking for comment.
USA Gymnastics, based in Indianapolis, told local FBI agents that in 2015, three gymnasts were attacked by team doctor Nassar. The FBI did not open a formal investigation or report to federal or state authorities in Michigan, according to the inspector general of the Department of Justice’s internal oversight body.
Los Angeles FBI agents launched a sexual tourism investigation against Nassar in 2016 and met with several victims, but did not notify Michigan authorities, the chief inspector said.
Nassar was not arrested until the fall of 2016 during an investigation by Michigan State University police. He was a doctor in Michigan.
The Michigan Attorney General’s Office has finally resolved the charges against Nassar, and federal prosecutors in Grand Rapids, Michigan, have filed a child pornography case.
In a speech to Congress last year, FBI Director Christopher Wray admitted major mistakes.
“I am particularly saddened that there were people in the FBI in 2015 who had their own chances and failed to stop this monster. And that’s not an excuse, “Wray told victims of a Senate hearing.
At the same hearing, Biles, considered the greatest gymnast of all time, said that “the whole system” allowed abuse. Maroney recalled the “dead silence” when talking about Nassar with FBI agents.
In May, the Department of Justice said it would not prosecute former agents accused of providing inaccurate or incomplete answers during the chief inspector’s investigation.
Accused of losing his chances for many years to prevent Nassar, Michigan State University has agreed to pay $ 500 million to more than 300 women and girls who were attacked by Nassar. The US Gymnastics and US Olympic and Paralympic Committees have reached an agreement worth $ 380 million.
Larry Nassar’s victims are demanding $ 1 billion from the FBI
Source link Larry Nassar’s victims are demanding $ 1 billion from the FBI