Former US Marine Trevor Reed lands in JBSA-Lackland after imprisonment in Russia

WASHINGTON – Trevor and former US Marine Trevor Reed is returning to the United States after nearly three years in prison in Russia.

Reed landed at the San Antonio-Lachland Joint Base shortly before 12:30 a.m. Thursday. Reed, who passed only through San Antonio, is in the last part of his journey home. His destination was not immediately clear.

His parents, who live in North Texas, were in Lakland to greet their son.

His release was part of a prisoner exchange that came as a surprise to many as Russia and the United States carried out an unexpected prisoner exchange during a time of high tensions.

The Reed deal would have been a remarkable diplomatic maneuver even in peacetime, but it was even more surprising because it was concluded as Russia’s war with Ukraine brought relations with the United States to their lowest point in decades.


At the other end of the exchange was Konstantin Yaroshenko, a Russian pilot serving a 20-year federal sentence for conspiracy to smuggle cocaine into the United States.

Even as the Biden administration trumpeted the exchange, it made it clear that the resolution did not bode well for a wider breakthrough. Russian forces remain resolute in their attack on Ukraine, the United States and Western allies continue to impose criminal sanctions, while other Americans, including WNBA star Britney Greener and Michigan’s corporate security chief executive Paul Whelan, remain in prison in Russia.

The exchange, the culmination of long-standing demands from both sides, as well as private diplomatic disputes, took place in Turkey when “the two planes essentially stopped next to each other and then exited,” Reed’s father, Joey, said.


“I think we will really strike for him and for us when we finally see and touch him,” he told the Associated Press.

Reed, a 30-year-old former Texas Marine, was arrested in the summer of 2019 after Russian authorities said he attacked an officer while being driven by police to a police station after a night of heavy drinking. He was later sentenced to nine years in prison, although the US government described him as unjustly detained and demanded his release, while his family pleaded not guilty and expressed concern about his deteriorating health – which included coughing up blood and starvation. strike.

Even on Wednesday, his parents’ joy was mitigated by the concern they said they felt about his physical appearance. They were struck by his unsteady gait and how thin he looked as television footage filmed him walking, surrounded by security, from a van to an airplane.


“He just didn’t sound like himself,” Reed’s mother, Paula, said of their brief phone call while on the plane. “We just asked him how he was, and he said, ‘I’m fine.’ But he always says that, even when it’s not.” And he just didn’t sound like his normal self. “

Reed travels back to the United States with Roger Cartsens, the US government’s special envoy for hostages.

Read more:

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Former US Marine Trevor Reed lands in JBSA-Lackland after imprisonment in Russia

Source link Former US Marine Trevor Reed lands in JBSA-Lackland after imprisonment in Russia

Back to top button