Texas

Former Olympic gymnasts Simon Byles seeks more than $ 1 billion from FBI over Nasar

DETROIT “Former Olympic gymnasts, including gold medalist Simone Bailes, are among dozens of victims of an attack seeking more than $ 1 billion from the FBI for not stopping sports doctor Larry Nasar,” lawyers said Wednesday.

There is no doubt that FBI agents in 2015 knew that Nasar was accused of harassing gymnasts, but did not act, leaving him free to continue attacking young women and girls for more than a year.

“It’s time for the FBI to be held accountable,” said Maggie Nichols, the 2017-19-19 national gymnastics champion in Oklahoma.

Under federal law, a government agency has six months to respond to claims for tort that were filed Wednesday. Lawsuits may follow, depending on the FBI’s response. The Justice Ministry said in May that it would not file criminal charges against former FBI agents who failed to launch an investigation quickly.

Advertising

Approximately 90 plaintiffs include Bailes, Ali Reisman and McKayla Maroni, all Olympic gold medalists, according to Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, a California law firm.

“If the FBI had just done its job, Nasar would have been stopped before he had the opportunity to harass hundreds of girls, including me,” said Samantha Roy, a former gymnast at the University of Michigan.

The Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics told local FBI agents in 2015 that three gymnasts said they had been attacked by Nasar, a doctor on the team. But the FBI has not launched a formal investigation or informed the federal or state authorities in Michigan, according to the inspector general of the Department of Justice, an internal oversight body.

FBI agents in Los Angeles in 2016 launched a sex tourism investigation against Nasar and interviewed several victims, but also did not warn Michigan authorities, the inspector general said.

Advertising

Nasar was not arrested until the fall of 2016 during an investigation by Michigan State University police. He was a doctor in Michigan.

The Michigan Attorney General’s Office eventually dealt with allegations of assault on Nasar, while federal prosecutors in Grand Rapids, Michigan, filed a child pornography case. He has been in prison for decades.

The FBI declined to comment in April when a smaller batch of lawsuits was filed, citing Director Christopher Ray’s remarks to Congress in 2021 instead.

“I am especially sorry that there were people in the FBI who had their own chance to stop this monster in 2015 and failed. And that’s unforgivable, “Ray told senators at a Senate hearing.

Michigan State University, which has also been accused of missing chances to stop Nasar for many years, has agreed to pay $ 500 million to more than 300 women and girls who have been attacked. The US Gymnastics and the US Olympic and Paralympic Committees have signed a $ 380 million agreement.

Advertising

___

For more stories about Larry Nassar and the consequences of his years of sexual abuse of young women and girls: https://www.apnews.com/LarryNassar

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Former Olympic gymnasts Simon Byles seeks more than $ 1 billion from FBI over Nasar

Source link Former Olympic gymnasts Simon Byles seeks more than $ 1 billion from FBI over Nasar

Back to top button