Texas

Filipino journalist Maria Ressa calls the new defamation case “ridiculous”

Maria Ressa, CEO of Rappler, reported media outside the local court of first instance on December 15, 2020, before arraignment of the second cyber insult case in Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines. I talked to. REUTERS / Lisa Marie David

December 15, 2020

Manila (Reuters) -Maria Ressa, who heads the Philippine news website known for her scrutiny by President Rodrigo Duterte, refused to petition in her second cyber insult on Tuesday.

Time’s Person of the Year 2018, Lessa, faced a series of proceedings she said corresponded to threats to her and other journalists in a country previously known for supporting press freedom. did.

“We’ll do this to the end. We’ll win because it’s ridiculous,” Ressa, CEO of news site Rappler (www.rappler.com), told reporters outside the courtroom in Manila.

Lessa’s attorney, Theodore Te, said he had agreed to conditional arraignment while waiting for a motion to withdraw the indictment.

Businessman Wilfred Ken has filed a new cyber defamation proceeding against Lessa for sharing a screenshot of a 2002 article linking Lessa to a criminal report. Ken’s lawyer did not talk to the reporter after the hearing.

In June, Lessa was convicted of defamation in a 2012 article linking Ken to illegal activity. She faces up to six years in prison, but is suing a sentence.

Lessa is also faced with several other incidents, including tax evasion and violations of the rules of foreign companies in the media.

She said the case was a form of harassment because of a critical report on her news site about Duterte’s bloody war on drugs. In the meantime, more than 5,900 suspicious drug dealers and users have been killed in anti-drug operations.

Duterte has accused media agencies of critical coverage of alleged infringement in the campaign.

In July, lawmakers allied with the president blocked an application to renew the parliamentary franchise of the media conglomerate ABS-CBN Corp, which offended Duterte.

As a result, the country’s largest broadcaster closed radio stations, closed local offices, and fired thousands of workers.

(Report by Jay Ereno, Written by Neil Jerome Morales, Edited by Ed Davies, Robert Birsel)



Filipino journalist Maria Ressa calls the new defamation case “ridiculous”

Source link Filipino journalist Maria Ressa calls the new defamation case “ridiculous”

Back to top button