December 11, 2020
Addis Ababa (Reuters) -Friday’s Ethiopian government has denied that the war in the northern region of Tigray is blocking the arrival of aid to civilians.
A month-long conflict between the Ethiopian Federal Army and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) is believed to have killed thousands, with more than 950,000 fleeing to Sudan, according to the United Nations.
Since the military occupied Tigray’s provincial capital, Mekel, nearly two weeks ago and declared victory, the Ethiopian government has described life in Tigray as returning to normal. However, TPLF leaders say they continue to fight from the mountains around the city.
“The proposal that active military combat within the Tigray region is hampering humanitarian assistance is not true and undermines efforts to stabilize the region,” a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office said.
The International Rescue Commission (IRC) and the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) issued a statement on Friday regretting the killing of staff.
The IRC said one employee had been killed in a refugee camp in Shire, adding that details of the death had not yet been collected or confirmed due to the difficulty of contacting the area.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo said last month that three officials had been killed in Tigray and did not provide details. They said lack of communication and anxiety meant they could not yet reach their family in the news.
(Report by Addis Ababa Newsroom, Additional Report by Nairobi Newsroom, Written by Tim Cox and Maggie Fick, Edited by William McLean)
Ethiopian government denies aid to prevent war, authorities report staff deaths
Source link Ethiopian government denies aid to prevent war, authorities report staff deaths