Business

Dr. Scott Gottlieb on Rare Heart Inflammation in Young Covid Vaccine Recipients

Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Friday that rare cases of heart inflammation in young people after the second Covid vaccination need further investigation.

However, the former Director of Food and Drug Administration said the incident was mostly mild and people should not be discouraged from signing up for a two-shot regimen from Pfizer and Moderna.

“At this point, risk benefits are beneficial to vaccination in this age group,” Pfizer board member Gottlieb said in an interview with Squawk Box. “That’s what the CDC and FDA have also confirmed.”

A day ago, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that after the second Covid shot, the number of cases of carditis between the ages of 16 and 24 was higher than expected. 275 outbreaks have been recorded compared to 10 predictions. And 102.

A total of 475 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis have been reported in people under the age of 30, which, according to the CDC, is associated with inflammation of the heart muscle or the surrounding lining. Men account for the majority of reported cases of post-vaccination myocarditis or pericarditis.

Of the 270 people who developed the condition and were discharged, 81% recovered completely, according to CDC data. The remaining 19% are still symptomatic or of unknown condition. According to the CDC, 15 people are still in the hospital.

According to the CDC, symptoms such as chest pain and shortness of breath usually develop days after vaccination.

Gottlieb said many questions remain about the relationship between heart inflammation and the Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccines.

“At this point, I think we need to assume that there is a causal link between the vaccine and these observations,” said Gottlieb, who headed the FDA from 2017 to 2019 under the Trump administration.

What is still unknown, Gottlieb said, is whether there is something specific to the vaccine that is causing the heart to irritate. “We know that vaccines provoke an inflammatory response, which is why they cause fever. That’s why they feel pain at the injection site because they stimulate the immune system.”

“Is this a more generalized inflammatory response from a vaccine localized to the heart of some patients?” Gottlieb asked rhetorically. “Or is this more direct, and is the vaccine itself causing some highly targeted immune response, and is it manifesting this way? There is no answer to these questions.”

According to Gottlieb, “probably most of the severe cases have been captured,” although additional cases may not have been recorded. “If you look at the number of people with severe pericarditis, it’s a very small number so far,” he added.

Approximately 141.5 million people in the United States are vaccinated against Covid, according to CDC data. Vaccines have been important in reducing the number of coronavirus cases in the United States to the lowest levels since the early days of the pandemic.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb on Rare Heart Inflammation in Young Covid Vaccine Recipients

Source link Dr. Scott Gottlieb on Rare Heart Inflammation in Young Covid Vaccine Recipients

Back to top button