Beijing – China urged citizens to leave three states in eastern Congo on Wednesday as violence intensified in mineral-rich areas.
In the past month, numerous Chinese citizens have been attacked and kidnapped in South-Kivu, North-Kivu, and Ituri states, according to a post on WeChat online messaging from the Chinese embassy in Kinshasa. ..
Chinese living in the three states should provide personal information by December 10 and plan to leave for safer areas of Congo. People in the Bunia, Djugu, Beni, Rutshuru, Fiji, Uvira, and Mwenga districts should leave immediately, adding that those who do not “have to bear the consequences themselves.”
“All Chinese citizens and Chinese investment companies in Congo should pay close attention to the local situation, increase their safety awareness and preparedness for emergencies, and avoid unnecessary outings,” the embassy said. Said.
Details of the incident were not disclosed, but the embassy reported last month that five Chinese citizens had been kidnapped from mining activities in South Kivu, which borders Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania.
He warned at the time that the security situation in the area was “very complex and harsh” and that there was little chance of sending help in the event of an attack or kidnapping.
No details were given about the people who were kidnapped, the people they worked for, or the people who were suspected of taking them.
Several armed groups, Maimai, M23, including the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda, known by the French acronym FDLR, are regularly fighting for the management of natural resources in eastern Congo.
Despite the danger, Chinese companies have moved to Congo and other volatile African countries in search of cobalt and other rare minerals and resources. Chinese workers have also been the target of kidnappings and attacks in Pakistan and other vigorous rebellious countries.
Security was an important topic at the meeting between Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Congolese counterpart Christophe Lutundura on Monday in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, according to the Xinhua News Agency of China.
The Chinese government and the ruling Communist Party said, “We attach great importance to the safety and security of overseas Chinese companies and Chinese people, and the Chinese side is very concerned about the recent serious crimes of kidnapping and killing citizens in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I’m holding it, “said Mr. Wang. Uses the acronym for the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The king urged Congo to secure the release of the abducted people and create a “safe, safe and stable environment for bilateral cooperation.”
Xinhua said Congo will take “strong steps” to investigate crimes, release hostages, severely punish criminals, protect national security and restore stability in the eastern part of the country. Quoted.
Earlier this week, Uganda said it had launched joint airstrikes and artillery with Congolese forces against the camp of the radical coalition democratic rebel group in eastern Congo.
Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi has approved Ugandan troops entering Congo to help fight rebels accused of attacks in eastern Congo that have killed more than 1,000 people in the last few years. .. Violence has spilled across national borders and attacks have become more frequent in recent months.
At least four civilians were killed in the Ugandan capital within two weeks when suicide bombers detonated explosives in two locations in Uganda.
The Islamic State group blamed the explosion, saying it was done by Ugandans. Ugandan officials have accused ADF of having been allied with Islamic State groups since 2019.
ADF was founded in Uganda in the early 1990s. The Ugandan army then forced rebels into eastern Congo. Due to limited central government control in eastern Congo, many rebel groups can operate.
Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
China is calling on citizens to leave eastern Congo after the attack
Source link China is calling on citizens to leave eastern Congo after the attack