Children Overdose Increasingly Overdose of Marijuana Foods

Last month, Elizabeth Perry felt helpless when it became clear that her 21-month-old son Oliver had something wrong. “When I put him in the crib, he started to stiffen, quiver, and cry,” Perry said.

Within an hour, he was in a Maryland hospital, and doctors determined that he had THC, a marijuana chemical that gives users high things in his system. Oliver managed to open a can of edible cannabis gummies that Perry used to help him sleep. To Oliver, it looked like a candy.

“My first thought was that I did this to him, this is my fault,” she said.

Oliver, who ate 15 gummy candies, is not the only child to land in the hospital after eating food. These cases are increasing as more states legalize marijuana and edible food becomes more common in homes with children.

According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, the number of children under the age of 12 who ate food at home surged from 132 in 2016 to nearly 2,500 last year. The number of people in need of medical care has also skyrocketed astronomically.

“When you use these substances, you just find that they look very attractive to children. They are often packaged in cans and other packages that look very attractive to children,” the team said. Dr. Brian Schultz, a member of the group, said. At the Children’s National Hospital in Washington, DC, where Oliver was treated.

Since then, Oliver has fully recovered and returned to his normal self. But his mom is not.

“The scary thing is that if he finds gummy candies again, he knows to eat them again, so it’s very important to keep them out of reach. I think, “she said.

Children Overdose Increasingly Overdose of Marijuana Foods

Source link Children Overdose Increasingly Overdose of Marijuana Foods

Back to top button