Can mold spread from downstairs to upstairs?

Mold is a displeasure sight in any home or building. Some assume that because it has no immediate health problems, but it can. Mold really affects people with respiratory issues and since there is no way to detect it’s a mold issue. Mold is very light and airborne so it will travel quite easily.

The truth is, mold will travel from downstairs to your upstairs rooms quite easily. It will do so through air vents, your clothes, pets’ fur, and through walls. Read more on how mold travels here.

How far can mold travel?

Get this, there is no limitation as to how far mold can travel. There is a good bet that right this moment, there is mold in your house. Mold is featherweight and will easily spread from one place to the other. Rather than be concerned with how far mold can travel, it’s important to focus on how to stop mold from growing.

Mold thrives on three major factors; water/dampness, nutrients, and a surface. Any presence of the above three will result in a quick infestation.

How to prevent mold from spreading

By now you do understand that mold can only be controlled but not eliminated, right? Since your biggest task is preventing the mold, your best bet would be to avoid the environment that mold thrives. Here are few ways you can use to prevent mold from finding a footing in your house;

Ensure there is good circulation

Good airflow will make it harder for mold to thrive in your house. Be sure to let air in and out of your house at every opportunity. When the air is still, mold will have to rest on surfaces such as walls and cupboards. But when there is good circulation, the spore will not find a place to attach.

Keep the house dry

Water or dampness of any sort is a great magnet for mold. Mold spores thrive on water or damp. This is the main reason why basements and areas around the foundation will always have mold. Fix any water leakages promptly, as this is the start of a great mold infestation in your house.

Fix all the waterways as well, the gutters, downpipes, and every other water runways. In case it floods or during the rainy season, make sure the area around the foundation stays as dry as possible.

For the areas that you cannot keep dry, like the laundry room or kitchen, be sure to keep it well ventilated. Good air circulation will make it hard for mold to stick around.

Check the humidity levels

Humidity levels contribute greatly to the growth of mold in a house. If the home is too humid, the spores will get enough nutrients and spread like bush fire. In a typical place, keep the humidity levels at between 30% to 50%. If you can get dehumidifiers or air conditioners, that would be great to control your humidity levels. But remember, a dehumidifier will only help prevent mold but is not a solution.

Debunking a myth: Dehumidifiers will only keep the mold out, but they are not used as a mold treatment option.

Getting rid of the mold

When you notice mold in your downstairs, you need to act upon it immediately. How do you know it’s mold to start with? Well, mold comes in different colors and types. The most common type of mold in the US is the Aspergillus, which comes with a whopping 185 different varieties. As such, the mold color and textures are a bit different. But if you spot any discoloration on your walls, just know you have a mold problem.

Getting rid of the mold will need either a professional mold remediator who will help deal with the mold once and for all. But if that sounds like an expensive option for you, you can always do it yourself. Getting a professional will help solve many issues like knowing the right type of method and treatment to use. The professional will look for the root cause and will use eco-friendly equipment and solutions. Though you will have to part with some money, the services offered will be worth it. But doing it yourself saves you money, and you get to learn a thing or two. But not unless you are well equipped and knowledgable in mold, it’s better to keep off. You might not do a thorough job which will enable the mold to spread even faster.

Parting shot

Finding mold in any of your rooms is bad for everyone involved. Spores have been known to cause allergic reactions in many people. Some may get uncomfortable by being in a room with mold. The best way to deal with mold is to prevent it from getting into your house in the first place. Maintain good drainage systems, have good air circulation, repair any and every drainage.

Back to top button