Texas

Burton Creek water in a sculptural waterfall considered unsafe

Austin, Texas — A city of Austin reported that a toxin called silindrospermopsin was detected at Barton Creek in Sculpture Falls near MoPac and Loop 360. This toxin is produced by certain types of blue-green algae and is harmful to humans and animals.

Samples were taken earlier this month after a human illness was reported and results were received on Wednesday, September 24th. The level of toxins detected exceeded the EPA level for recreational purposes. People and pets should not swim or drink water.

This incident has a variety of side effects, unlike harmful algae found in other waters of Austin. Cylindrospermopsin can cause liver and kidney damage. Other side effects include bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and headache.

The city of Austin advises people and pets to avoid stagnant hot water, discolored water and foul-smelling water. Heavy rains tend to increase bacterial levels, so it’s a good idea to wait a few days before swimming.

Seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have been exposed to this toxin. Call 311 to report the potential illness of this algae for humans and pets.



Burton Creek water in a sculptural waterfall considered unsafe

Source link Burton Creek water in a sculptural waterfall considered unsafe

Back to top button