Texas

27-year-old suspect in Sacramento shooting, denied career criminal release

One of the men who shot dead a crowd in Sacramento on Sunday morning, killed six, was a career criminal who was released from prison for four years in February, and received a 10-year sentence in February on charges of gun crime and robbery, reports say. .

The decision, made by the California Department of Justice due to severe inconvenience from the Sacramento County Attorney’s Office, led to a letter stating that the man had “shown a pattern of criminal conduct” and that the risk was “significant.” community.

Smiley Martin, 27, was arrested Tuesday morning and is still in the local hospital, where she was recovering from a gunshot wound. He is accused of possessing a machine gun and a firearm in connection with the incident.

A total of three men have been arrested in connection with the shooting, including Martin’s brother, 26-year-old Dandrae Martin, who was arrested on Monday and appeared in court on Tuesday evening, charged with a firearm and charged.

His criminal record includes domestic violence, serious assault, criminal damages and marijuana violations.

Smiley and Dandrae are both believed to have fired guns. Smiley posted a live Facebook video that he fired a gun a few hours before the shooting. Authorities are trying to determine if he was used in the shooting in the video.

Smiley is accused of possessing a machine gun and having a firearm by a prohibited person in connection with the incident.

He is also a career criminal with a long history in 2013, who last year was prosecuted by the prosecutor as a danger to the community, and someone who should not be released.

He was serving a 10-year sentence for domestic violence and assault with severe bodily injury, according to the Sacramento Bee.

On April 29, 2021, the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office on April 29, 2021, asked the State DOC to deny Smiley’s request for release from prison, “because it poses a serious and senseless security risk to the community.” ‘

In the letter, District Attorney Danielle Abildgaard says Smiley has “shown a pattern of criminal behavior” throughout his adult life, having committed several felony offenses.

A letter from the DA’s office states that Smiley was charged with possession of a burglary and a firearm. He had previously been charged with felony criminal mischief for providing false information to police.

“Prisoner Martin has repeatedly shown that he cannot comply with the law or the conditions imposed by the court,” the letter said.

“His history indicates that he will continue his personal agenda regardless of the consequences and regulatory constraints set.

“If he is released early, he will continue to break the law.”

Despite that request, Smiley Martin was released in February, California Corrections spokeswoman Dana Simas told Sacramento Bee. He referred to previous credits for early release.

“Prior to arriving at a CDCR facility, Martin had already received a 508-day credit, and received several additional credits following the sentencing,” the spokesperson wrote in an email. “He was released in Sacramento County in February 2022.”

Smiley Martin, two days before he was released in Sacramento County in February. He was released six years earlier from a 10-year sentence

Dandrae Martin, 26, was seen Tuesday in Sacramento court. He did not plead

Dandrae Martin, 26, was seen Tuesday in Sacramento court. He did not plead

Dandrae is seen talking to her lawyer Linda Paris. He said he needed more time to work on the case before filing the allegation

Dandrae is seen talking to her lawyer Linda Paris. He said he needed more time to work on the case before filing the allegation

The witness video showed a quick shot of at least 76 shots in 54 seconds while people were screaming and running for cover.

The witness video showed a quick shot of at least 76 shots in 54 seconds while people were screaming and running for cover.

The shooting occurred at 2:01 a.m. in downtown Sacramento after a clash on 10th Street.

The shooting occurred at 2:01 a.m. in downtown Sacramento after a clash on 10th Street.

Anne Marie Schubert, a Sacramento District Republican prosecutor, told The Washington Post on Tuesday that California’s early release laws need to be reviewed.

The state legislature criticized the new rules passed in recent years, which allow for the release of prisoners involved in non-violent crime.

“We don’t call a violent crime a‘ crime involving possession of a firearm, ’” Schubert said.

“We don’t call people who commit domestic violence, even though they have a violent history, we leave them early, constantly.

“And that’s a dangerous recipe.”

Schubert, who is running for California Attorney General, declined to discuss the details of the investigation, but called for a general reduction in gun violence.

“It doesn’t matter which side of the political corridor you are on,” he said. “No one wants a gun, illegal weapons in the hands of criminals and banned people.”

A third man was also arrested on charges of firearms.

Daviyonne Dawson, 31, was arrested on Monday after being banned from carrying a gun in the area.

He has not been charged with felony criminal mischief and is not believed to have been used in the massacre.

Sacramento police said they are working to identify more suspects.

Police on Wednesday confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that a stolen pistol had been used in the shooting and that it had been converted into an automatic weapon that could be fired like a machine gun.

DailyMail.com photos revealed how the destruction was two city blocks, and markers indicated that more than 250 shots were fired. At least 100 people were shot dead by police.

On Sunday, gunfire was heard at the intersection of Sacramento Street 10 and K Street as bars and nightclubs came out.

Witnesses reported a massive clash involving several men.

Police said they saw the men shooting at the vehicles and fleeing with guns in their hands.

Six innocent people were killed; Melinda Davis, a 57-year-old homeless woman, 31-year-old Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 21-year-old Johntaya Alexander, 21-year-old Yamile Martinez-Andrade and 38-year-old Sergio Harris and 29-year-old cousins ​​DeVazia Turner.

Turner’s mother, Penelope Scott, told the Associated Press on Monday, “My son was walking down the street and someone started firing, and they shot him. Why is that happening? I feel like I have a hole in my heart.”

It is unclear whether any of them had any connection to the fight, or were caught in a crossfire.

Melinda Davis, 57, had a rough sleep in the heart of the California state capital and was among those killed in a shooting in downtown Sacramento on Sunday.

Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21, was one of six people killed in Sunday's mass shooting. Martinez-Andrade, described as a person who

Melinda Davis, 57, had a rough sleep in the heart of the California state capital and was among those killed in a shooting in downtown Sacramento on Sunday.

Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32

Johntaya "Jojo" Alexander,

Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32, and Johntaya ‘Jojo’ Alexander

Sergio Harris

DeVazia Turner

Sergio Harris, on the left, and DeVazia Turner, on the right, have been named two of the six people killed in a mass shooting outside a Sacramento bar on Sunday morning.

Dandrae was taken to Sacramento County Jail on Monday night.

Smiley was shot dead and is still in the hospital under police custody. They will be sent to prison after being treated in hospital.

Dandrae’s criminal record includes charges for physical injury to a spouse.

Riverside County Sheriff’s Office is also under arrest as a result of a significant order, according to inmate records obtained by DailyMail.com.

In a statement Tuesday morning, Sacramento Police said: “Smiley Martin was quickly identified as an interesting person and has been in the care of a hospital officer while his treatment continues.

“Based on the information developed in this investigation, Smiley Martin was arrested by Sacramento Police Department detectives on April 5, 2022.

“Deciding that Smiley Martin’s medical care should be terminated and he should be jailed, he will be sent to the Sacramento County Jail for a prohibited person for holding a firearm and a machine gun.”

Ertzaintza is still asking for photos and videos from the public.

Agents say more than 170 pieces of evidence have been received since Sunday.

In a statement on Monday, Schubert said he believes more people will be arrested.

He stressed that no one has been charged with murder or manslaughter.

“The investigation is very complex, with many witnesses, a variety of videos and significant physical evidence.

“This is an ongoing investigation and we anticipate more arrests in this case,” he said.

27-year-old suspect in Sacramento shooting, denied career criminal release

Source link 27-year-old suspect in Sacramento shooting, denied career criminal release

Back to top button