11 Questions about Studying – Answered by Experts Abroad

After 11th grade and the Unified State Exam it seems that all the most incomprehensible things are left behind, and ahead there is only the wonderful time of being a student. School indeed ends, but the questions do not become less. It is even on the contrary: accreditation, scholarship, notes, college essay, internships – first you need to understand what they are, and then you need to protect your rights. It is good that the experts help you to understand everything.

  1. How can a foreign student be admitted to a Russian university?

At present the procedure of admission of foreign students to accredited educational institutions of higher education in the Russian Federation is regulated by the Decree № 841, dated December 29, 2009, of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.

  1. What to do if the teacher leaves slides at the lesson and doesn’t even comment on them?

First of all, we should note that the teacher has the right to freedom of choice and use of pedagogically sound forms, means, methods of training and education, the right to creative initiative, development and application of authoring programs and methods of training and education within the implemented educational program, as well as the right to choose textbooks, teaching aids, materials and other means of training and education in accordance with the educational program.

  1. What rights does a student have while passing the industrial practice?

Judging by what you have written, you are studying for a bachelor’s degree in Philology or Linguistics.

In this case, the rules for the internship, including the rights of the student, are set by the Federal State Educational Standard (FSES) for your field of study. You can read the full text of the FSES on the website.

  1. Is it legal to carry out industrial practice remotely?

The regime of self-isolation introduced in Russia because of the coronavirus epidemic has made adjustments in all spheres of life, including education.

Given the worsening sanitary and epidemiological situation, the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation prepared recommendations for the organization of the educational process. In a letter from April 2, 2020, № GD-121/05 the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation included “Recommendations on the organization of the educational process at the graduate courses in educational organizations implementing programs of secondary vocational education in conditions of a strengthening of sanitary-epidemiological measures.

  1. What if I can’t write my diploma without books from the library?

Doing decent research without access to a library or archive is really difficult. Everyone involved in the educational process understands this: students, faculty, administrators, and, of course, librarians. That’s why many university libraries now organize literature consultations via email, website, and other services. During the pandemic, a huge number of both Russian and foreign publishers provide open access to full-text electronic resources. At the level of the Ministry of Education and Science, access to a huge array of scientific information has been guaranteed for several years as part of a national subscription. I am sure that some of these measures will help you to collect literature for your research. Below I will try to explain exactly how.

You can read the answer of the Head of the Research Support Department of the RANEPA Research Library here.

  1. The university obliges me to buy a course of additional classes. Is it legal?

Such a situation is illegal. Let’s deal with it in order. Both students who study at the expense of the budget, and students who have concluded a contract on the provision of paid educational services, receive an educational service throughout the process of training. And for some reason the dean’s office forces you to buy another and another service.

The law unequivocally forbids it (p. 2 art. 16 of the Law of the Russian Federation from 07.02.1992 № 2300-1 “About protection of the rights of consumers”). It turns out that students are being imposed a service illegally. He has every right to retake the subject without paying for additional classes.

  1. I graduated from a university, which is not accredited. Can I get my tuition fee back?

When studying at the university on a paid basis the student and the university conclude the agreement on rendering educational services which is regulated by chapter 39 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation “Paid services” and article 54 of the Federal law “On education in the Russian Federation”.

The Law “On Education” in this case will be a special regulation, so we will refer to it. Paragraph 2 of Article 54 contains an open-ended list of the main characteristics of education, which must be specified in the contract.

  1. Who is entitled to a stipend and what does it depend on?

Let us answer a common question: both students who study on a budget and students who study on a for-profit basis can receive money during their studies. It all depends on the specific basis for payment.

State academic stipends are awarded to all bachelor’s, specialist and master’s degree students who are enrolled on a publicly funded basis. Its size is now 1,707 rubles. Students who finance their studies themselves have no right to it. In order not to lose this scholarship, the student must not have unsatisfactory grades and tails of the intermediate attestations (at HSE – the results of the first – second and third – fourth modules).

To read the response from the Center for Scholarship and Philanthropic Programs of the National Research University Higher School of Economics, click here.

  1. Can HEIs recruit students to the program without accreditation?

Indeed, the university has to provide information about the graduates in order to obtain accreditation. They are recorded on special forms attached to the accreditation application.

The accreditation confirms that the educational programs of the university and the quality of graduates’ training meet the state standards. The document is issued by the Federal Service of Supervision in the Sphere of Education and Science (Rosobrnadzor) for five years and gives the university the right to award the graduates with state diplomas.

  1. What to do if I don’t like studying at university?

To begin with it is worth asking yourself: what does it mean that you no longer like it? Here there can be three options.

The first – you once liked to study, but in this university you no longer like. That is, the chosen specialty suits you, but do not like the process of teaching. In this case you can transfer to a university that is similar in status and in the chosen profession. Look for a transfer option, and take additional examinations if necessary. Technologies of transfer from university to university are sometimes complicated, but they do exist. There is nothing wrong with that.

  1. The dean’s office required students to take paid COVID-19 tests. What to do?

Rospotrebnadzor developed the Methodical recommendations МР 3.½.1.0205-20 from 29.07.2020 “Recommendations on prevention of a new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) in educational organizations of higher education”, where the rules of attending classes are established.

Thus, for students there should be an “entrance filter” – non-contact temperature measurement at least 2 times a day, exclusion of students with signs of acute respiratory infections, etc. Moreover, the university is obliged to provide students with disposable or reusable masks.

Back to top button